Thursday, March 5, 2009

5280's Gone M.I.A

Do you guys like how I said I was going to do a weekly installment and I couldn't even keep it up for one week? Sheesh.

I actually sat down to write about how Denver has this really awesome event called 5280 Week where all the fancy expensive restaurants have amazing deals where two people can eat a 3 course meal for $52.80.

We went with our good friends Duke and Morghan to celebrate the end of residency interviews (ie blood, sweat, and tears) and decided to do something especially adventurous and go out to sushi.
Sushi really isn't that adventurous, but when you are super cheap, you don't want to blow your Benjamins on something that *might* make you throw up in your mouth a little and then leave you hungry later. Anyways, the evening was a BIG hit. Here we are, almost a week later and both Brandon and Duke still frequently bring up how amazing that dinner was. If you ever get the chance to go to Hapa Sushi....go go go! You won't regret it.

I would go on and on about what a great deal it was and how I ate this thing that had an incredibly seedy name that totally lived up to its title and how we're a tad bummed that we didn't know what 5280 Week was until it was almost too late (meaning we could've tried more of the restaurants!)...

BUT that was before Brandon decided to make a mix tape for an upcoming road trip and started playing my newly discovered favorite song and got me all in a twitter. I can hardly focus because I want to listen to this song and wave my hands in the air (that's about all the dancing I know how to do).

A friend of ours recently made us a CD with this song on it. The first time I heard it I was like, "What the crap?" but then it slowly started to grow on me. THEN...I saw this girl on the Grammy's and was completely blown away because she was literally 9 months pregnant, wearing a teeny-tiny black and white ladybug outfit, and was dancing with all the mac-daddy rappers like it was nobody's business. It was awesome--completely over the top and a bit ridiculous. So ever since then...it has been in a pretty regular rotation, including me watching the video several times a week (always visualizing myself in her crazy outfits and wondering how I could manage to pull off just a fraction of her spunk). However, I kind of forgot about that song this week until JUST NOW.

So now I present M.I.A's Paper Planes:



And don't worry, I recognize that this song doesn't appeal to a large majority of the population and that it may be a tad inappropriate but it is my blog (and Brandon's) so pardon me while I indulge!

3 comments:

Samuel R said...

Haha paper planes... that reminds me working on the pruning crew last semester when my boss called into the radio and made a dedication of that song to his long lost friend "Dave", who happened to be sitting in the van next to me.

Leslie said...

I love this- it's in Slumdog Millionaire too.

Natalia said...

we totally missed cheap foodie week...we were bummed to say the least.

I am glad you are digging on M.I.A. We have a dance party in the works and I so expect to see you waving your arms in the air when this song comes on.