Tuesday, March 24, 2009

EL PUEBLO VIEJO

This past week was a big one...we found out where we are going for the next year.

Brandon is doing a pharmacy residency so that he doesn't have to worry about going postal on the nincompoops that come to the pharmacy counter at Walgreens. Anyways, this process is a tad stressful because you don't get to choose where you go; instead this outside company looks into a magic pot while waving a wand before "matching" students to hospitals.

Luckily, we ended up in Tucson, AZ which for some reason is also known as the Old Pueblo. And since I am starting to fret that I won't be able to find a job because my Spanish skills are essentially non-existent, I am trying to brush up on my espanol, which is how I ended up with that blog post title.

But that's besides the point. The real point here is that we are moving very soon--probably mid-June. We both feel good about this turn of events but can't ignore that it is definitely bittersweet. Colorado has been very good to us.

Tucson is great because:

1.) The program will be perfect for Brandon in many ways. They showered him with flattery, offered to take him javelina hunting, and showed him that they like to have a good time.

2.) My parents live there and I haven't gotten to spend nearly enough time with them since I left the Old Pueblo, 10 years ago.

3.) You rarely have to worry about things like scraping the ice off your windshield or snow storms ruining your commute to work.

4.) This restaurant:
It is amazing and I'm not even going to explain why.

5.) Sabino Canyon:

It is less than a mile from my parent's house and I have spent many many many hours there hiking, running, swimming etc. I look forward to more trail time. You'd think it'd be easy to get that in the Rocky Mountain State, but it really isn't.

We are very sad, however, to leave Colorado because:

1.) We'll be moving away from Brandon's parents who have spoiled us for the past few years with advice, good conversation, their comfortable guest room, relaxing weekend getaways, fresh cookies, food storage, game nights, and of course, their laundry room.

2.) Great friends that have entertained us with dinner parties, book clubs, and other types of fun.

3.) This is the place where we fell in love and got married.

4.) I'll miss my job.

5.) We'll miss Denver's great parks (City Park, Cheeseman Park, Washington Park, Kent School) where we love to take our Sunday afternoon walks.
I mean, let's face it, Tucson is stinkin' hot most of the time. We won't be able to enjoy flowers, distinct seasons, giant trees and their canopies of leaves for a long time. Oh well...

BUT, now we know where we are going and feel blessed that things worked out so well and that we are going to a place with so many perks. Not to mention the fact that the waiting is over. Now it is just time to pack up all our stuff, get mad at ourselves for having so much stuff, find an apartment, say goodbye, and start all over in a new place. Can't wait!

3 comments:

Shelley said...

I love Taco Tote. I went for my first time in January -- hey, you and Brandon were there. You didn't mention the possibility of beach time as a perk.

Very happy for you guys.

Samuel R said...

this will be sweet. congrats brandon! excited for the both of you to come down here

Cait said...

Yeah! You guys will get to go to the beach house and be spoiled by the other parents. that is fun! And Jayne and David are good at spoiling!