Sunday, October 7, 2007

Kilt Update

My eyes have been opened.

I was discussing the man in the kilt from my previous post with my brother Jake and he casually suggested that the man may have been wearing a "work kilt". Apparently there is a kilt revolution afoot. I did some investigations and found the Utilikilt website.

This website is tremendous for several reasons. First of all, it exudes masculinity. The manliness of the site demolishes the "kilts are just skirts, which are for females only" argument. Second, under the "Utiliclan" tab there is a lengthy list of convincing reasons to wear a kilt. Third, the photo gallery is hilarious. Fourth, they sell a track-style kilt (right) that cracked me up. It's the kilt equivalent of gym shorts. Imagine playing basketball in one of these and also being a "skin". That's about as free as you can get. Fifth, they have work kilts that are basically their own tool belt. This makes me think of when I work for my uncle and need to carry around tools and also stand on a ladder. Awesome.

I'm now a closet kilt fan. Some may say that the admission that you're in the closet over an issue is tantamount to coming out of that same closet. This argument doesn't apply to me.

I think the kilt revolution should join forces with the bow tie revolution. It could be synergistic. Imagine wearing a kilt and a bow tie to church or work. That would be hard-core.

7 comments:

Shelley said...

The COO of my company loves the utilikilt and wears one when working with his horses. He is a big guy and very confident in his masculinity.

I have tried to visulize him in his utilikilt and his steel toed boots and I have to say it is an appealing image.

Leslie said...

wow. that is the most amazing website i've ever seen. i could look at the photo gallery for hours. do you realize that they start at $105?

Gwen said...

My kilt story includes Alison's parents. We were cruising the caribbean together, one of the other couples that was assigned our dining table was from Edinburgh, Scotland. On the formal night he appeared for dinner in a black tux, shirt & tie, and a red plaid kilt! Add in the accent and knee socks...we had royalty at our table that night!!

The Cowley Tribe said...

This is amazing. I can't look away!

The Cowley Tribe said...

Do they have Temple Kilts?

Taylor said...

I thought of you when I drove by the utilikilt store in seattle yesterday.

David Rogers said...

The utilikilt would be the perfect attire in the O.R.! Oh, I guess pubic fallout could be a problem though. I love the website and am recommending it to many of my friends! The mockumercials are very intertaining. Do they have work-out kilts?