Monday, January 14, 2008

Happy New Year!

We haven't had a chance to write for a while because we no longer have internet at our house. Since I'm back in school, my Mondays and Tuesdays are pretty much full blown days on campus...with the world wide web easily at hand. I basically treat the internet like an IV during those two days because it never leaves me and is always at hand.

Not having internet is a bummer, but believe it or not, Brandon and I actually talk to each other at night now, as opposed to IMing each other from across the room and we waste less time in the pursuit of finding out whether or Sasquatch is real or who won the world championship of junior varsity football.

In our blogging absence, I've been formulating many entries that I know you'd love to read...the most important of which include my New Year's Resolutions. While I have a couple that are slightly meaningful and will hopefully advance my attempts to be a better person, one of the most important ones include: Beat Brandon at a Game.

You see I am actually fairly competitive. There is a classic example of this. Last year, I was in class about Clinical Theory and we did some experiential exercise where we had to lead a blindfolded classmate through an obstacle course. The blindfolded classmate was supposed to be a client and the whole exercise was supposed to be a metaphor for the barriers clients experience when receiving treatment. It was indeed quite cheesy.

The whole time the teacher was explaining the exercise, I was analyzing the obstacle course and figuring out how to lead my client through it better than anyone else. When the professor finished explaining the rules, I raised my hand and try to say in my nicest-social work-y voice, "Um, are we just doing this to do it, or are we trying to get our clients to win?" And the whole class totally laughed, something I still don't understand because I was asking a genuine question. Social workers aren't make that "ha ha you're an idiot' laugh. Sheesh!

So back to my resolution. Whenever Brandon and I play a game, I lose. Every single time. It could be a serious thinking game or a mindless card game. It totally irritates me and I usually ask to quit about 3/4 through the game because I don't want know how many points I actually lost by. Brandon, as always, is incredibly sweet and empathetic about it. He usually agrees that for the sake of our marriage, we quit now. The last time we played a game, he said something like, "You're not bad, I just happen to be a really good game player." Thanks honey. Sometimes he offers to 'hold back' so as to let me win, which I never take him up on. I want my win to be bona fide.

What my New Year's Resolution comes down to, I suppose, is that I WANT TO WIN, dangit. And have fun of course since that's what games are all about. ;)

2 comments:

Cait said...

Alison, you just need to find a game that your good at and then you won't feel so down. I have learned that Chase always beats me in physical sports or puzzle games, but that I can kick his trash in word games. Every now and then I have to pull out Boggle or Scattergories just to assert my authority and prove that I am a winner too.

Find a psychology game or something, or maybe a game of luck. Perhaps you're more lucky than him?

Alison said...

thanks cait...glad you understand what i'm going through!