Tuesday, December 4, 2007

After Thanksgiving We Robbed a Bank

Just kidding. But by the looks of this pictures, you would have thought so, eh? This was actually taken just before we (all my siblings and their spouses, minus the one that is on a mission) went go-cart racing in Davis County. I had never done such a thing before, and I have to say it was fun. But I'm not all that into going fast. Leslie and I had a good time dinking along, trying not to lose control, while everyone else had some good ol' fashioned competition. Here we are afterward.
Aren't we all so cute? I certainly think so.

This post is basically a travelogue to explain that Thanksgiving was a nice time. I came home feeling exhausted--it wasn't really the most relaxing vacation and I never really got a chance to recover from busting my tooshie during finals. But the chance to spend time with my family was wonderful and much needed.

Aside from the go-cart racing, some of the highlights included visiting the Nature Conservancy's Nature Preserve at the Great Salt Lake. While that landscape is stark and sometimes buggy, I find it intoxicating and beautiful. Perhaps you need to grow up in the desert to really appreciate it or just have that need for open space, because I know many that just don't get it. I miss the many walks and runs in Farmington Bay and along the Bonneville Shoreline Trail that I used to take while living in Utah--they always yielded me the best views, fresh air, and that needed respite from daily living.
Later that day, we went to Temple Square and saw the lights. There is nothing like visiting the Salt Lake Temple, I always find myself holding back tears when I look up at the spires. The glimmer of the Christmas lights made the ambience that much more meaningful. It was really cold, though, so it was a rather rushed enjoyment.
I unfortunately don't have any quality pictures of Thanksgiving itself...but I bet you can imagine what it looked like. Food, family, and smiles. Melanie--your stuffing was A-MA-ZING (Brandon is a convert) and Mom, I want that sweet potato recipe. I want to try that for Christmas, maybe. Our trip to UT also enabled us to visit Brandon's brother Justin and our friends Kersten and Tai. We pretty much got to do it all...and I'm still thinking about what a nice time it was. What more of an indication do you need that your Thanksgiving was practically perfect?

3 comments:

Leslie said...

that was fun. i can't wait until we're together for more crazy family time!

Cait said...

wow. That picture of us at the go carty place is exciting, and I think everyone but Alison looks silly. Clay is too happy, Leslie looks like she smells something, Brandon looks like a zombie, I look like I'm only pretending to have fun, and Chase looks like he's about to bash my head with a helmet.

It made Chase and I giggle. We love you guys!

Melanie said...

Thanks for the compliment, Alison, I was surprised to find myself in your blog!