Sunday, September 20, 2009

Its that Time of Year...

Football season. In other words, Brandon is in heaven.

Last year, I joined my work's fantasy football league in an effort to help me bond with Brandon and get in on some playful work banter. Let's just say that the part about it helping me bond with Brandon didn't really work. My interest lasted about two seconds and then I had Brandon do everything for me. Actually, I did two things. As he did all the drafting etc, I named the team and searched the Internet long and hard for an avatar to represent my team in the league.

I ended up naming my team The Cookie Monster Riot and chose this avatar:

Both of those things got me plenty of playful work banter and indirectly and innocently proved that football will never be my thing.

Anyways, I have a point. It is football season again. Brandon is enthralled and loving every second of it. I'm not in a fantasy league (Brandon's three leagues cover this house pretty well) and I don't like it any more than I did last year. BUT something strange has happened. Instead of feeling this twinge* of annoyance when I hear the TV blaring a game, there's a piece of me that is actually pleased that Brandon has something so enjoyable to do. He's working pretty hard these days and lets me do my own thing without batting an eye, so why not let him soak up all things NFL? This revelation has left me feeling so mature and a little like the Grinch whose heart grew three times in size after he let the Whos have Christmas. I just had to share. That's all.




*OK fine. That 'twinge of annoyance' part was a bit of an understatement.

4 comments:

Cait said...

Your blog is awesome! When I clicked on your link I was anticipating that there would be another amazing drawing like the dumpster/cat entry, but the cookie monster avatar did not disappoint.

Nevertheless, I request more art.

Elizabeth said...

Is there a way we can arrange to allow Brandon and Ryan to just spend every fall together? Ryan is in desperate need of football fans this time of year, I'm afraid I'm not cutting it.

We went to the Michigan game on Saturday, and I swear every sentence began with "remember when Lamar and I..." No football memories with me, only with Brandon.

Shelley said...

I loved your avatar for last year's fantasy football. Pretty much how I feel about fruit and veggies.

I work at the Church and Monday morning is serious recapping of the BYU game. I so don't care and there is serious eye rolling on my part. I really should be more tolerant, but seriously, its just a game...

Melanie said...

Alison, your maturity is indeed impressive, seriously.