Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Shire

For some reason, we named our apartment The Shire when we moved in. I don't really remember how that name came about (other than the obvious LOTR reference). Anyways, now that we are getting close to moving out and in the midst of looking for a new place to live in Tucson, I find myself frequently thinking of our building and this apartment.
Our building. FYI, it is on the ugliest block in all of Denver. But, we both knew as soon as we walked through the apartment that it was the one for us. And we've never regretted it.

Some things:

I caught the janitor of the building smoking the other day. He's a super nice church going man always telling me about his grandchildren and garden. I kind of felt betrayed when I saw him smoking. I also think he was trying to hide it from me. Isn't that weird that I was so disappointed by it?

The crazy (literally) lady downstairs was found dead in her apartment last week. She used to wear hats and jackets even when they weren't in season and was known to say, "Get the hell away from me" when crossing her path in the hallway. A few times she asked me to help her take the elevator to the third floor so she could visit David (her equally crazy friend). Once I saw her and David kissing in the hallway. The last time I saw her she told me to "Get the hell away " while I was getting the mail. I told her that it made me sad that she would speak that way to me since I thought we were friends. She just looked at me and said, "Oh." I hope she didn't kill herself but I don't really want to find out either.

Our building also has a history of bedbugs. Sick! We've never had a problem and we both think it is divine intervention. Remember this?

Our kitchen is carpeted and has hardly any counter space. I hate it because it makes simple spills hard to clean. Every time I look at ads for apartments in Tucson I think, "Well, there's no carpet in the kitchen so that's a bonus."

The other thing about our kitchen: Brandon and I have learned that it is for the benefit of our marriage if only one person is working in the kitchen at a time.
Only counter space (I have no idea why I took it this picture. Probably because I was really proud of myself for doing the dishes or something).

We do have awesome closet space. Considering I'm a pack rat, we have never felt too cramped in our one-room apartment. There is so much closet space, in fact, that Brandon and I are both able to fit two dressers and two laundry baskets in our non-walk-in closet without losing too much space for our clothes and shoes. I doubt we'll be able to have that in another apartment.
This is an old pic of me (with long hair!) that illustrates a wall of closets (and a messy night stand).

Needless to say, I am looking forward to finding a new place. I know this sounds crazy, but we are thinking about splurging and going for a two bedroom with a washer and a dryer. The renter's market looks pretty good right now so I don't think we'll have to settle for a carpeted kitchen!

2 comments:

josh said...

getting an apartment with a washer and dryer was a must when josh and i moved. it has given me a new sense of freedom. good luck with house hunting!

Cait said...

I have to say I'm with this Josh Character about the washer/dryer bit. It is definitely nice to be able to leave massive piles of laundry on them and not have to worry about them getting stolen!