Saturday, July 19, 2008

I will no longer talk about my clothes on our blog

I'm kind of embarrassed that my last post was about my outfit for the day. Where did that come from?? We are going out of town for a few days...starting in oh, about four hours (I NEED TO GO TO BED) and I felt compelled to do something to move that last post from the top of our silly page. I mean, what if we die on the way to the airport tomorrow and that post about my clothes are the words that people remember me by, only because they were just so darn accessible? Hopefully this one will have a little more dignity than the last. No promises.

As I've thought about the lowness of that last post, I've been thinking about blogging. "Is this lame?" I think. After that thought, I always think, "Yes." Then I wonder, "Is there anything I really should be writing about?" and "Why do we even do this in the first place?". I think of all that crap about my posterity and am not quite convinced our future kids will care about how their parents made Gandalf jokes back in the day. Yet at the same time, I actually really like the process of writing these entries and will probably keep doing them*. Obviously, I haven't really come to any conclusions, but my inner-monologue was heightened when my aunt** forwarded me a link to this blog that essentially mocks other blogs. I got a huge kick out of it but felt a little pathetic afterwards.

All I know is that since we have this blog, I feel compelled to write, even when I have nothing to say. So that morning when I had that unfortunate discovery about my shirt, I guess some passion stirred inside me and I had something to say and by gosh, I was going to say it. I learned however, that maybe I should just pick up the phone or say it to myself. So sorry about that. I'll try to use a little more discretion next time. Again, no promises.




*I even started another blog about my work as a family therapist. Why? Why? Why?

**(sorry I haven't written you back dear Shelley, I appreciated your emails and will get back to you after we return from CA)

4 comments:

Natalia said...

It is funny the things we feel compelled to write on blogs sometimes. To be honest, i try not to even go back and read my past blogs because i have yet to think, "that was such a fascinating blog i wrote that day, i really changed the world with that one!" It's more like, "what the crap was i thinking to put this out there!" Then what do i do? I go and start another blog that isn't even private!

On the other hand i love the human connection that blogging provides which is why i enjoy reading random things like your outfit of the day. I do think your posterity will thank you for it!

Melanie said...

Alison, I got a big kick out of the mock blog, too! Was that from Shelley? She's always in the know. AND I would be interested in your family therapy blog, if you want to share.

Shelley said...

Alison and Brandon, I love your blog. As I don't get to see you all that often reading your blog entries is often just like talking to you -- even the clothes blog. Also I didn't send you the mock blog to make you feel pathetic. I just thought of all my nieces and nephews the 2 of you had the sense of irony to really appreciate it. It is pretty funny but you can't read too much of it or you get a fake sugar high.

Becky Rogers said...

Hey you two- We sure had a blast hanging out with you guys at the beach. Don't you wish we could all live in San Clemnte year round?!