Thursday, May 1, 2008

Our Brothers

As most of you know, 19 year old boys in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints are asked to serve missions (girls go on missions as well, but it isn't an expectation like it is for boys). Missionaries don't choose where they go, are gone for two years, have very little money, are only allowed to communicate via a weekly letter, are not permitted to watch the news, see movies, or pay any attention to the outside world, and spend their time teaching others about our religion. Needless to say, missions are a big deal. 2 years!

Anyways, Brandon and I each have a brother on a mission right now. Brandon's brother, Jake, just left on a mission about three weeks ago. When he is finished learning Russian, he will head to Donetsk, Ukraine (and for the record, Jake did you pack a coat 'cause you are sure going to need it! I hear its real cold in the Ukraine. Heehehe-- everyone said that to him before he left). Here is Jake and Brandon the last time we hung out with him...
He and Brandon are mocking the way that girls pose (and note Brandon's A-mish beard which I do not miss). I chose this picture, though, because they are genuinely enjoying the moment and it resembles the fun times they have when together. If I do say so myself, Jake is a cool guy. He and Brandon have a similar sense of humor and love of sports (sometimes a deadly combo).

And my brother, Sam, has been serving a mission in Taiwan. What is exciting, however, is that Sam gets home...TOMORROW!! I am so excited. While I won't get to see him tomorrow, we'll see him next Wednesday. This is going to be an important event because not only will I get to give him a great big hug and ask him to speak Chinese for me, but I'll also get to introduce him to my husband. Can you believe that I still have a brother that Brandon has never met and that my own brother has never met my husband? Kind of weird, but fairly typical for Mormons in this type of situation.

This is Sam:
I actually didn't have any good pictures of Sam flying solo, so now the world wide web gets to see my dad (who is THE coolest). Actually, come to think of it, I have another one--
This one shows how goofy he is. I can't wait to see what he looks like now--of course he is still tall with dimples, but what's changed??? Guess we'll see on Wednesday!

So, we've been thinking a lot about our brothers lately. We pray for them daily, are proud of their choice to serve a mission, love to talk about them, and are anxious for them to get home.

WELCOME HOME SAM!!!

5 comments:

The Rogers said...

I can't believe Sam gets home, TODAY, as I am writing! Its so fun to have brothers in the mission field. I only have one brother, he will get home in September and it will be the first time he meets Tyler, its exciting! That will be fun for Sam to meet Brandon! I also can't wait to hear him speak Chinese! Onward ever Onward to our Missionaries!

Chris, Megan, Ezra, Travis and Maggie said...

That's so crazy. I can't believe all of these young cousins and brothers are already returning from missions. Say hi to Sam for me.
It's also cool that Jake is going to the same mission as Seth and me. Have fun out there.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I found your guys blog from someones... probably Cheneys. You guys are so funny. Yeah, to get to see your brother. Mormons are a bit weird. Send me your email address and I'll send you an invite to our blog jsaac4@yahoo.com

Price Family said...

I cant wait to see Sam as well. Also I have been recording Jeopardy all month and checking every night to see if it was the day Brandon was on. I was starting to think I missed it. So I went back on your blog to find the exact date. I am so glad We didnt miss it.I am so excited to watch!! Yeah!!

Emily Joy said...

yay sam! i cant wait so see him tomorrow at his homecoming! wow, to me his mission went by so fast! and im also way excited to watch jeopardy!! go brandon!