Friday, March 30, 2012

Shocker

So getting ready in the morning is a daily cirucs...I have a baby gate set up so Russell can only wander between his and my room while I shower and dress. These rooms are baby proofed enough, I figure, that he'll be fine entertaining himself while I shower and make myself presentable for the day. Or so I thought.

This is what happened a few days ago:

If you can't tell, that is a metal hair barrette behind the adapter. I was right next to him, only my back was turned. I suddenly heard this big POP!, Russell started screaming, and I smelled burning. He had found the barrette on the ground and started playing with it...I have no idea if he intended for it to go there or if it was some random accident. Luckily, he was fine...only a little soot covered and frightened. Getting the hair clip out from behind that electrical adapter was quite electrifying. It was essentially a live wire...I used a silicone oven mitt to try and unplug everything and sparks flew each time I jiggled it. It was scary! Poor Russell was beside himself. I've never seen him so scared, not even with the vacuum. I had to give Brandon another frantic call and he suggested I turn the power off, which was the perfect solution. The outlet still works fine, as does everything that was plugged in. I don't think Russell learned his lesson as moments later we were in the living room and he started tugging on a plugged in cord.   
Yikes!
Some of the soot came off his fingers before I could get a good picture.
This is the "To Top it All Off" part. While I was talking on the phone to Brandon, trying to figure out what to do, I put Russell on our bed. Our bed is his most favorite place ever. He loves to touch the buttons to my alarm clock, flip through the books on my nightstand, and basically mess with every possible object Brandon and I have near our bedside. That activity can keep him occupied for 15 minutes at a time. It drives me nuts, but I needed him occupied. It was during that portion of our morning that he pooped. And since he was only in a onesie (remember we were still in the getting dressed stage of the day), some of the poop got out of his diaper and smeared all over the bed when he got himself sandwiched between my bed and my nightstand. Luckily it was also laundry day and so the bed was stripped of sheets...but still. I wasn't planning on washing the mattress cover that day.

7 comments:

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

holy cow!!! that is scary!

Taylor said...

Yikes! Glad he was okay. and that everything else was okay.

Samuel R said...

That's amazing that he figured out the most dangerous place to possibly put that hair pin

Sharon said...

Scary!! But somehow it sounds really funny when you wrote it :) Glad he's ok.

Leslie said...

Wow. That must've been terrifying. I'm so glad you took all those photos. That's a story to tell at his future wedding dinner. I can't believe he both made sparks and poop smears.

Shelley said...

What a shocking story (I can't believe no one else has used that one). Glad all is well.

Duke~N~Morghan said...

I'm glad to see someone else has crazy days like I do :) that had to be so scary! Yikes! Glad Russell is okay :)